Thursday, July 23, 2015

Food for thought

Sometimes we have already made our mind up on a topic.  I invite you to hear me out on this one.  Please let this post be food for thought.

The Holy Bible has a great deal to say about the social issues of the day.  Some of what the Bible says about a social issue will support your personal stance, and some of it will not.  I am going to intentionally repeat that sentence.  Please read it again and let it settle in.  Some of what the Bible says about a social issue will support your personal stance and some of it will not.

From time to time, our nation is in an uproar over one social issue or another.  I certainly have my opinions on social issues and so do you.  There are many different kinds of people in God's family, and they don't all see things the same way.  Let me be clear - I was not called to the ministry of getting you to agree with me on social issues.  I was called to the ministry of Jesus Christ. 

What did Jesus say about social issues?  Homosexuality, capital punishment and gambling were all rampant in Jesus' day.  Yet, he does not address them.  I am not saying that he agreed or disagreed with any particular one, he certainly would have had his thoughts, which makes it all the more interesting that  He does not address them.   He refuses to separate people by whether or not they agree on a particular issue.  Jesus stays on mission.  I am your pastor.  I must stay on mission.  Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength.  Love your neighbor as yourself.  Jesus had an amazing ability to bring diverse types of people together.

I don't understand or agree with everything that happens in this world, but that is not the point.  Inside my heart there is a deep desire to love God and follow Jesus in loving others.  I hope that is enough for you.  It was enough for Jesus and it is enough for me.

It's still a beautiful day  in God's world, be sure to see the good. 



1 comment:

K-Mac said...

Wonderful post!

This reminds me of an episode of a TV show What would you do? that I watched recently. I’m not sure if you’re familiar with it but it’s a secret camera show where actors present situations and they film people’s reactions to the situation.

One of the situations was where a family is praying in a restaurant before eating dinner. They (all actors) began to pray out loud and an atheist (also actor) asked them to stop. There were several situations – one she was very rude, one very quiet and just explained her beliefs and that she was offended and wondered if they could pray more quietly so she doesn’t have to hear it, etc.

The family (again – actors who know they are playing a scene with another actor playing the part of an atheist) responded by saying it was their right to pray in public, “it’s a free country”, etc. The atheist actor responds that it’s their right but couldn’t they do it quietly so she can’t hear or “save it for church” etc.

The reactions of the others in the restaurant (who all came to the praying family’s defense) are really what caught me off guard. These Christians responded to the atheist that she needs to mind her own business, they have the right to pray, apologizing to the family that they had to witness this, etc. One even told her she needed to “shut up” and let the family enjoy their meal, many suggested she needed to leave. Nearly all of them were very hateful standing in defense of the family’s right to express their faith in public.

I didn’t agree with any of them 100% and I don’t know exactly how I would react especially to the louder, more rude expressions against Christians by the atheist. But I couldn’t help but think “how are we to win others to Christ when, presented with a perfect situation to show grace and love, we tell people who don’t believe the same thing we do to shut up and leave.”