Monday, July 20, 2015

sad - happy

Today I have some sad but happy news.  You know that my oldest daughter lives in Florida.  So does my wife, about 50% of the time.  [how weird is that?]  Well now my middle daughter has landed a job in Florida and will be moving there in a few weeks.

I am sad for me.  I don't want to be anymore lonely than I already am.  But I am very happy for her.  This is what she wanted and it is a great opportunity.  She will also be in close proximity to her mom and sister.

Let's chat about loneliness for a moment.  Being alone isn't always horrible.  When I am alone, I get to think.  When I am alone, I get to pray.  When I am alone, I get to work on things inside of me that I need to fix.  Most of us could use a little bit more time alone.  Solitude is an important spiritual discipline that is hard to grab onto in this fast paced world of computers and cell phones.

Sometimes in life we have to celebrate the joys for others and just keep working on our own stuff.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did not realize your Chicago daughter had moved their. There is just a huge phenomenon in human nature about most moms and their daughters. Your situation with your daughters wanting to be near mom is not unusual in itself, but this makes me sad. Maybe I'll see "feeling the joy for others later." But for right now, the way this strikes me is "times have really changed."

I hope your blog is for not only your candidness and honesty, but that it's okay for others to be honest. My take on this, and the way it's played out in the lives of many modern families, is that the more materialism invades our lives, the more independent people become. And the more independent they become, the more life becomes about self gratification and less about "giving up what might feel good to me, to commit to the needs of others."

I'm sorry, but materialism has changed much in family life today. Long distance living has become more and more prevalent. Their don't seem to be any family norms like there previously were. Our nation has lost something.

God bless all.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on raising independent, confident children! No longer does a person view the trappings of geography as a limit on their dreams or on the relationships they have with family and dear friends. You have a very progressive family!! Be very proud - and get a card that earns you fly miles!!