Thursday, February 23, 2017

Wisconsin vs Michigan

My buddy Paul McClain was in town last week and we went to Overtime Pizza and Pub for dinner.  This is one of those joints that has 18 TVs that are all operating together so that you see the sporting event and it takes up the entire wall.  Sort of a smaller version of a Vegas sports book venue.

So anyway we are sitting there and 4 guys about my age come in.  I didn't know any of them, but right away I noticed something cool about them.  They were there to watch the Wisconsin/Michigan game or the Michigan/Wisconsin game depending upon how you looked at it.  They were obviously friends, furiously enjoying each other.

Here is what stood out about them.  One was wearing a Michigan shirt, two of them were wearing Badger gear.  I loved it!!!

When we were getting ready to leave I asked one of the men about the four of them.  He said, "we are brothers."  I said, "brothers?"  He clarified, he said, "friends."

I knew what he meant.

I don't have any biological brothers, but I certainly have "brothers."  I thought it was beautiful.  I asked if I could take their picture.

I am sure that they woke up the next day and wondered why they let that old bald guy take their picture.

Anyway, although I don't know their names, they obviously understand something about life.  Friendship is a bond that runs deeper, or should run deeper than Republican/Democrat, MU/KU, male/female, young/old, or Wolverine/Badger.  Oh wouldn't the world be a better place if instead of seeing the opposition, we saw a potential friend, a potential brother.

Maybe one day I will run into these guys again and sit at their table and hear their stories.

Thank you fellas for a lesson that the world so desperately needs to hear.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: