Monday, February 5, 2018

fear and worry




Last year a friend invited me to go kayaking on the inter-coastal.  The inter-coastal is fed both by the Sebastian river and the ocean.  So any and every kind of creature could be, no... is in that water.  There have been shark attacks and crocodile attacks in the inter-coastal.  Rare, yes, but I was worried of course that I might be the exception.  The entire time that I was out on the kayak I was looking around, keeping my eyes peeled.  I vowed to never do it again.

Fast forward.  I am working for someone who lives on the inter-coastal.  I am removing some old fence posts that are in about one foot of water at low tide.  I am using a ratchet to remove bolts and using a saw to cut off the posts.  I am squatting down, so every time the waves come in, I must lift my derriere to keep it from getting wet.  Worse yet, I am thinking about the kayaking experience.  I am realizing that lurking just a few feet away from me may be a gator just waiting for the right moment to pounce.  I am after all wading in their home territory.  I don't know how long it took to remove those posts but it seemed like an eternity.

Newsflash- local man taken by gator while working to remove fence.
about to be lunch for a croc

The next time I was there working, I saw some guys fishing.  I thought, oh boy are they brave.  Then I thought, well, maybe I was worried about nothing.  I don't have to out swim the gator, just one of the fishermen.

Most of what we worry about is nothing to worry about.  Just wade in, do what you need to do, and get on with the rest of your day.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com







I am leading some trips in 2018. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

Holy Land via Jordan
March 5-14 2018

Wesley's Ireland
October 8-17, 2018

No comments: