Sunday, February 4, 2018

misleading

So I have seen these trash cans, oh, I mean recycle cans in the airport for years.  My assumption has been that you put the cans and bottles in the round holes and the newspapers in the slot shaped like a newspaper.  My brain thought how nice it was that we were recycling and helping the separation process from the get go.  My brain also thought, don't put any other kind of paper in there, just newspaper.

The cans are a bit misleading.  If you look closely, there is no divider inside the can.  If you put a newspaper in the round hole, it ends up in the same place as if you put it in the slot.  If you could crush a can and put it in the slot, well no harm is done.  There is no separation.... it all goes to the same bag.  How disappointing!

There should be just one hole in the middle that says "recycle here."

In what ways do advertisers mislead us?  In what ways do churches mislead us?  Do we ever intentionally mislead others?  What degree of us being misled is our own fault?  In this case, my brain did something with the trash can that the designers may not even have intended.  Our expectations about how a thing out to be can be pretty misleading sometimes.

The moral of this trashy story... Just because I think it is this way, doesn't mean that it is this way.  Just because I am disappointed because someone or something did not meet my expectations does not mean that I have any right to be disappointed.   Sometimes we just don't see things as they really are.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com







I am leading some trips in 2018. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

Holy Land via Jordan
March 5-14 2018

Wesley's Ireland
October 8-17, 2018


No comments: