Friday, March 29, 2019

beat up

Every church I have ever been a part of, had ministries to help the marginalized.  In the past, at each church, we would leave our comfortable part of town and go to where the marginalized lived.  The church I am working at in Ft. Pierce is in the old part of downtown.  The members decided years ago to stay and not flee to the suburbs. [good for them!!!]  Consequently, this is the first church that I have ever been a part of that is right in the middle of where homeless and marginalized people live.  We go to church service together and I have had the chance to get to know some of them a little bit.

Every Sunday I go into the fellowship hall where four or five of the guys are hanging out.  One just finished his shower, one was making a plate of food.  All glad to be inside a safe air conditioned place.

Last Sunday, I walked into the hall and shook their hands as always.  That is when I noticed... one of them had been beaten up.  I would guess this fellow to be about 50 years old, it is hard to tell.  Someone just beat him to a pulp.  Face swollen, bruised, and cut up.  I felt very very sad.

I wanted to say something, but I didn't want to embarrass him.  [the picture here is not him, but you get the idea.]

Here is the point of this blog...  what ever we think about marginalized people, it is not an easy life.  Showering once a week at church, scrounging through the church pantry for something to eat, and then just to add insult to injury, someone beats you up.

May we pray for those who are marginalized.  May we have compassion for the broken.  May we appreciate all that we have.  May we share more with those in need.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - - -
I am leading some trips this year and next. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

Paris-Normandy River Cruise
October 23-31, 2019
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/rc19102319x17768#.W3avNFJK3cs


No comments: