Monday, June 30, 2008

acts of kindness get me on the plane, just in time

Yesterday I told you that I barely made it onto the airplane. Let me explain. My flight left at 8:40am. Jenny dropped me off at the terminal at 7:30. I noticed a long line for the sky cap. Long, like 100 yards long. I go inside. The line is much, much longer inside. In fact, I cannot see the end of the line inside. I choose the skycap line.

It seems that Skills USA was in KC this past week. 14,000 young people, who are now all leaving for home on SW airlines. No one is around from the airline to explain what is going on. You just wait.

Acts of kindness. Well, I don’t have any one dollar bills to tip the skycap, if we ever get to the front of the line. No one has change for a twenty. The person behind me in line gives me $2. Act of kindness number one. Don’t worry about it, he says, just pay it forward. You look like a nice guy, find a way to help someone else out.

As I think back on his words now, my eyes are tearing up. Help someone else out? You bet I will.

Now the line is taking forever. Up towards the front, there is a group of 20 that has a 9:30 flight. They invite us to go around them. Act of kindness number 2. I check in with the sky cap. My baggage gets the “late check in” tag. It may not be in San Francisco when I arrive. Oh, well. The time is 8:35. 5 minutes until scheduled take off.

I run for the gate. Backpack on my back, computer case in hand, I run like a track star. I hurtle a trash can. I arrive at security. Another nice line. They are calling over the loud speaker “last call, flight 2756. If you are in the security line for flight 2756, please move up to the front.” I give the best “poor pitiful me” look that I can. I ask to pass. Every one of the 30 people in line ahead of me graciously give way. Act of kindness number 3.

Now it is down to the wire. There is an airline employee calling for anyone else for flight 2756. I make eye contact. I am still on the wrong side of the scanner. I am ripping off my hat, shoes, hurry pull out the computer. Go, go. Go, dog do. Hurry he says. Thanks.

I step into the scanner. I flunk. I step back, they make me empty my pockets and take off my belt.

I make it through. I grab my stuff and start to run. Hold the door, hold the door. I step into the plane. I am holding a computer case, a backpack and my shoes. The computer is under my arm as it hasn’t made it back to the case yet. My pants are starting to sag. I realize that my belt is back at security. So is whatever else was in my pockets.

I find a seat. Phew. Thank God. And thank you to the people who helped me along the way. Security man, you have a new belt, keep it, I will get another.

Later on the flight, I am reading and crying like a baby. It’s all good.

It’s a beautiful day in God‘s world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: