Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Annual Conference

Dare I write about Annual Conference? A few preacher friends read this blog. I love you all, whether we agree or not. This blog is about seeing the good. That is what I try to do.

Annual Conference is a 4 day meeting that takes place around June 1st every year. It is the Methodist Church in Missouri's annual decision time. At annual conference, the budget is negotiated, reports are heard, sermons are delivered, workshops are held and appointments are set. New friends are made, old friends are caught up with.

I always hear some complaining from someone. They didn't get the appointment that they wanted, some person in leadership they don't like, etc. This year someone was complaining about the Bishops new emphasis on fruitfulness. I didn't say anything when they were complaining, but what I wanted to say was, "so you prefer unfruitfulness?"

I thought there were some good things to celebrate this year. After major changes last year, more students are being reached in college ministry with fewer conference dollars, and the vital ministries that were removed from the budget last year have done what they needed to do. They have left the budget, but they have entered the hearts of the local churches and actually received more money this year than last.

Clay, Gina and Sherri were all appointed as associate pastors, and yes, you are stuck with me for another year.

There are always signs of goodness if you know where to look. lets go find it today.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are happy to be 'stuck' with you...and Clay, Gina and Sherri! Woods Chapel is blessed to have each of you. You 4 are the good in today!

Anonymous said...

I'm more than willing to be stuck with you, Clay, Gina, Sherri and the congregation! The people in this church are so giving, nurturing, and loving. I'm so glad to be a part of it.

trha