Wednesday, June 11, 2008

when we die

Today, my 17 year old son is going to a funeral for his friend. Please don't say anything to him about it. The wound is very fresh and this is a pain that he has not felt before. Just shake his hand and talk to him, joke with him. He will want to joke. Where does he get that? Sometimes people use humor to distance themselves from pain.

Well, that is why we should speak to everyone. "How are you? Glad to see you." Often we are so caught up in our own stuff that we don't even see the other people. What if they just came from a funeral, and we were so lost in our own junk that we didn't take the time to care? I am not sure that "I am sorry, I didn't know" is a very good excuse. We should practice the kind of hospitality that understands that every single person needs someone to reach out.

When we die. Don't worry about it. Don't be afraid. If you are a Christian, upon your death you will fly to the bosom of Almighty God. People don't even really die, they just move from one life to the next. Your last breath here on earth will be your first breath in heaven.

An interesting thing about humans and death. Those who have faced death and lived, are usually no longer afraid of it. It is like they have already made peace with God, or caught a glimpse of the other side. They live their lives with a different perspective.

Aren't you glad that God's grace is greater than ours? I am sure that many people that we have counted out will be welcomed in by our heavenly Father. He is far more forgiving than we are. I am glad that it is not our job to decide who gets in. Let's just make sure that we are faithful, the only person you can control is you.

To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. That is not a bad thing.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a good son. I've only had the opportunity to speak to him a few times, but his heart seems to radiate from his face like another man in his family. Some people -- you don't need to know anything about them to know you can trust them. They just shine, and you're at ease. I'd say that Woods Chapel is full of people that shine, and aside from the message of Jesus Christ being preached there, that's why it's My Church.

Anonymous said...

that gives my soul some peace tonight. death is not much fun to contemplate when you take Jesus out of the picture. with faith shaky like mine tends to be, death becomes a huge fear. but you just told me not to worry about it. and something about what you wrote has tipped me back into a peaceful reassurance. it just seems too good to be true. isn't that a crazy reason to have trouble believing....
thank you Jeff, as always

terry said...

Thank you Jeff for your words on death. Very timely for me, I will be attending the funeral of a very very young girl tomorrow, and I will be just that much stronger with your words of wisdom. I love your words... upon your death you will fly to the bosom of almighty God." I will share your blog with my family.