Sunday, June 29, 2008

do you know where I am?

Ill bet that you don’t know where I am right now [as I write this] that is because I don’t know where I am either. I am at 30,000 feet, somewhere between KCI and LAX. I am writing to you in this plane because I cannot contain myself. I cannot begin to tell you what I am feeling at this moment.

As you know, I have been and will be on renewal leave for a few more weeks. Several have asked what I have been doing on this “long vacation.”

I have 3 goals for this renewal leave……..

to work on sermon titles, finding inspiration
to pray about our dreams and visions for our future
to read thru the Bishop and District Superintendent’s book list……….

Here is the book list that I am working on. It contains a collection of books recommended by conference officials and other smart people.


17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork
21 Most Powerful Minutes in a Leaders Day
7 Practices of Effective Ministry
Ambition In Ministry
Art of Managing People
Become A Better You
Being Methodist in The Bible Belt
building a church of small groups
Case for the Real Jesus
Christian Chaos
Church Leadership
Creating a Healthier Church
cultivating fruitfulness
direct hit
Dreamgiver
Effectiveness By The Numbers
Externally Focused Church
Faithquakes
First Break All The Rules
forever young diet
fragile hope
God At The Crossroads
good to great
Grace Awaking
Holy Discontent
I Refuse to Lead A Dying Church
Jesus Mean And Wild
Kicking Habits
Leadership on The Other Side
Leading Beyond the Walls
Life Lessons
Losing Moses on the Freeway
Managing Transitions
Power of Now
Praying Naked
Prophet
purpose driven church
Radical Outreach
Revolution
Riding With The Blue Moth
rhythms of life
Servant
Shaped By God's Hear
simple church
Simply Strategic Growth
Simply Strategic Stuff
Simply Strategic Volunteers
Spiritual Entrepreneur
Starbucks Experience
Summoned To Lead
Surprising Insights from the Unchurched
Take The Next Step
The Life You Have Always Wanted
Total Forgiveness
Twelve Keys To An Effective Church
Unbinding the Gospel
Visioneering
We Heard The Bird Sing
Wired Church


Today, I barely made it on the airplane. The line to check baggage was an hour long. But, I finally made it, shoes off, running for the plane as if I were in a Hertz commercial. I am on the way to a pastors camp in California.

I have read [not word for word, more like digested] about 20 of these books so far, and I want you to know that the first one that I picked up on this plane made me cry like a baby. I am a sobbing fool. People next to me are looking at me, wondering if something is wrong. “no, nothing is wrong, everything is right!” they are good tears. I am so filled with hope and anticipation for what God is going to do at our church, I should be coming home to preach right now, not flying away for a week.

I want to ask you to pray for your church. For the future of your church. What is going on in your heart? What is God doing? Is there a passion in your heart? Is God stirring something within you?

Life is too short for us to live on auto pilot.

It is a beautiful day in God’s world. Be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Brinkman,
Still out here. Still reading everyday. I will pray for the church but I will pray for you also. Glad you are doing what a pastor in a church this size has to do. Taking time to focus, refocus, plan and renew. It has to be hard work. Thanks for doing this for the church. See you soon.
Erik B

Sue Watson said...

Paul Nixon has written a book called I Refuse to Lead a Dying Church .... I wonder if that is the book you have read? It seems more hopeful that I Refuse to Leave a Dying Church. Enjoy this time of joyful learning and renewal.