Monday, June 9, 2008

denied entrance

Last night I had a dream. I think I dream almost every night. Some of them are entertaining, some of them are thought provoking.

Last night in my dream I was on a church trip with about 10 people. We were in a country like Jamaica. We had a good time, we did lots of fun things, then it was time to go home.

Before we left the hotel, a government official came by and told the group that I would not be allowed to re-enter the United States. I was going to be held in this other country because of some unknown charge.

The rest of our party was very worried, but I told them to go on without me. Everything would be fine. I had strong confidence in my dream of my own ability to reason my way out of the trouble. Somehow I was going to explain my situation and justify myself and resolve the problem.

I woke up. That was the end of the dream. I don't know how it played out, but I will tell you what I woke up thinking.

How many people do you and I know who expect to enter heaven based on their own goodness, their own righteousness. I have been a good, ethical person, surely I can explain myself to God and he will let me in.

Well for the Christian, we have a different approach. When the time comes for us to stand before God, we will not plead our own righteousness, we will simply say, I am a Christ-follower. Jesus has spoken on my behalf.

God's grace will make the way clear for us into eternity, and God's grace helps us today. In this life, we need to keep in mind that all that we are and all that we have are gifts from God. "But for the grace of God go I." We are not as smart, as beautiful, as competent as we think. We always need to be mindful of the gifts of God's grace.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: