Wednesday, February 15, 2012

education

There are two educations.  The first one teaches you how to make a living.  The second one teaches you how to live.

It is a great success to help someone learn to make a living.  Whether via college, trade school, or the school of hard knocks, when someone finds a way to make an honest living, it is good.  It makes a parent proud.

I hope that I have been as good at teaching my children how to live as we have been at helping them get a degree and find a job.  There are some pretty important differences.  The first education helps a person earn money.  The second helps them find joy and satisfaction.  The first helps you keep a good credit rating.  The second makes you a person of character.

What would we teach in the class of how to live?  How about these topics-

Faith, Work, Love, Apologizing, Grace, Forgiveness, Bearing pain, Letting your parents go, Seeing the good, Living below your means, Saving for the future, Delaying  gratification, Planning, Service, Setting an example, Being real, Knowledge, Wisdom, Leadership, Accountability, Humility, Vision.

I better get to work.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This post is very wise! I shared it on my FB page and my friends love your wisdom too. They are reading your blog now :) kb