Friday, February 17, 2012

not for sale

I recently spoke with a member who shared a story about someone telling them that they could, "buy you out in a heartbeat." 

People are funny about money.  For some, money makes power which leads to arrogance.  The member had a pretty good come back, I thought.  He said to the person, "you probably could buy me, except that I am not for sale."

I like that thought and I hope that you feel this way about your life.  I am not for sale.  I am not available to the highest bidder.  I am not here to fall for a little bit of gold.  I have something to do here on this earth and it is not defined by making a little bit of money.

At the end of the movie Fargo, Florence McDermot [the sheriff] has the last bad guy in her car and she is counting the number of people that he has killed.  She says, "And for what? For a little bit of money. There's more to life than a little money, you know. Don'tcha know that? And here ya are, and it's a beautiful day. Well. I just don't understand it."

As long as we are focused on what we have or don't have, we will never find peace.  We need to remember that life is about more than money and stuff and how much a person has.  The best riches in the world are held by those who have a loving heart and a selfless outlook on life.

And its a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Don Maxey said...

Pastor Jeff, I can't let a good Coen Bros reference go without comment. Sometimes,what we don't have is what was. . . or, loss. Loss can be many things to many people. I struggle with greiving over loss. Trying to restore what was - to put back the pieces of a poor decision - or - a loss of innocence perhaps (health, relationship). I was reading this week about how many of us attempt to restore what was lost in our own feeble way. The result is as you mention regarding money - it takes the focus off today and off of others. It is an endless lament. Thanks for a reminder to leave it behind and focus on what God is doing today - and to serve others - today. Don Maxey