Sunday, June 10, 2012

Letting the past go

In the past few years I have made considerable efforts to contact old friends.  People that I knew in high school and college.  They have been easier to find these days, thanks to the internet, facebook, and linked-in.

In each case I was looking to contact these folks to find some forgiveness or absolution for something that I did, or something that happened to us.  [Now that should tell you something]

In each case I was granted full pardon.  In fact, the only person that really remembered or was concerned about the things that I was so worried about, was me.  One encouraged me to accept the gift of forgiveness that I preach so insistently.

At any rate, I am looking back on all of this now and thinking of how silly it can be to get stuck on things of our past.  God forgives us, and most healthy people want to move on.  Kind of a, "live in the present, not the past."

What ever is on your mind today from your past, you are forgiven.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps one of the reasons you are so insistent, is that you have lived it for yourself!!! It comes from your heart!!

Anonymous said...

While I know this and am so grateful for it, there are times it will weigh on me. More so at the times that I have difficulty forgiving someone for their behavior toward my daughter than for me. I know I need to forgive and move on, but that's when it's the hardest. Forgiving him for what he has done to me was far far easier that for what he has done to my child. I continue to work on it so that I can move on. I will get there, eventually.

Tonia