Tuesday, October 2, 2012

best friend

Someone asked that I post about my best friend besides God and Cathy.  Here you go. 

Best Friend.  I hate to write about this because there are so many people that I dearly love.  Years ago, there was a couple that Cathy and I were close to.  I one referred to them as our best friends.  He startled me by saying that they don't have or don't identify best friends, because they have so many friends.  It hurt my feelings at the time, but now, years later, I totally understand.  So let me write for a few days about friendship.

When I was young I had very few friends.  I usually had one friend at a time.  When I was in grade school at South City View in the Center School District, my one friend was Greg Fisher.  He lives in Arizona now, and we do not keep up.  I do keep up with his mom.  We had lunch a few weeks ago.  His sisters and mom attend St. John's UMC at 6700 Ward Parkway.

When  I was in Jr High, I attended Bret Harte Jr High in San Jose, California.  My one and only friend was Mark Stanton.  Mark lives in Illinois now and I have not heard from him in years.  He is a great guy and very funny.  Mark, if you google yourself one day, I would love to hear from you.

When I was a senior in high school, I began dating.  I was pretty serious about that.  Mark moved away.  My best guy friend was Mark Flammer.  I have no idea where he is or what he is doing.  His dad was a teacher.  We played tennis and went out on his Hobie Cat Catamaran.  My best girl friend was Lisa M.  She was my first love.  We dated for 2 1/2 years.  It crushed me when she ended that.  I thought life was over.  But it wasn't.  I am sure that there is a lesson there.

My first year of college was at San Jose State.  My best friend was still Mark Flammer.  Then we moved back to Kansas City and I finished college in Springfield.  My best friend there was Dallas Moore.  He lives in Cincinnati.  I drove out to visit him in 1998.  He is such a fine man and such a great person.  So funny.  I have not talked to him for years.  If you know him, ask him to call me.  We played tennis, soccer, baseball, Foosball, and every other sport in the world together.  I was the right side linebacker, he was the left side linebacker.  I miss him.  I dearly loved him.  When he did not come back for our senior year, I was crushed.

Ok, that is all that we are going to do for today.  Make it a wonderful day.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you've had many friends. Here's hoping you get to hear from some of them again.

I hope that when you write some more about friends, you'll share the attributes that draw you to particularly enjoyable friendships. Are they easy going, are they fun, do they make you laugh, are they true blue loyal?

Love the comment in the Bible, about a friend who sticks closer than a brother. Because you only have sisters, here's hoping God gives you some friends who feel like a brother to you.

Thanks for taking the time to share.