Thursday, October 4, 2012

Friendships in Lees Summit

This is where I am going to get in trouble, because I am going to leave someone out.  Please don't be upset.  It is early in the morning and my brain is moving slowly.

There are two things that I have learned about friendship since I moved here in 1994.  First of all, I have learned that you can have more than one friend at a time.  In fact, I have won the friend lottery since I moved here.

The second thing that I have learned, painfully about friendship, is that sometimes they change and people move on.  Difficult as that is, it is something that I have had to make peace with.  I have lived here for 18 years and four months.  Almost three times longer than I have ever lived anywhere else in my life.  So I have had many friends here at Woods Chapel.

Where do  I begin?  It took me about a year to get over leaving Princeton and the loss of my friend Roger.  Finally I became great friends with S and J.  S is still in my life.  We bowl together on Monday nights.  I love him and he is awesome.  J I only see occasionally, but again, he is a great guy.  When all three of our jobs changed, we had less time to hang out. 

I then became great friends with B and another fellow.  I can't use even an initial for the other fellow, because he got mad at me and dumped me.  It crushed me.  B is still around and I see him occasionally, but not as much as we used to.  I still love him dearly.

I should mention the Armadillo softball team.  Every single one of those guys is my bonded brother for life.  I will never forget the parade of their faces at the funeral visitation for my father. 

Well, that is all for today.  More tomorrow.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I see a blessing in this. Better that God has given you so many good friends in Lee's Summit, that you risk leaving out some of them, when writing about them. In fact much better than your last year in college with no friends.

The familiar quote: To have a friend you must first be a friend. I have a feeling you are a treasured friend to many in your past and present.