Monday, October 1, 2012

what to do

Sometimes in life I have these moments that can only be summed up with the thought, "well what do you do with that?"  There are moments that leave me dumbfounded.  I have seemed to run into something that just leaves you shaking your head.

The other night I had a dream.  Dreams are a funny collection of things.  Here is the dream:  Sunday morning church was full.  Lots of people.  The power went off so everyone left.  I couldn't get the folks to understand that we could still have church without electricity.  Now the strange part.  A woman called me and suggested that we start a ministry of doing laundry for people. She would be willing to buy two washers and dryers to get it going.  I liked the idea.  For the homeless, for the elderly, what a great ministry.  Then the kicker, the caveat, the followup.  She wanted her 15 year old son to be in charge of the ministry and to be paid to do the laundry.

I am not sure what to say to her.  Something about a conflict of interest.  Something about the concept of mission usually does not include payment.  Something about volunteering or giving.  I was dumbfounded.  I didn't know what to say. 

Fortunately for me, the alarm rang.  I was only a dream.  It was time to get up and deal with real life, which is only slightly more crazy sometimes than what I find in my dreams.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wierd dreams leave you so tired in the morning, when you wrestle with the stuff in those dreams. Yuk.

There are those out there in this world who claim to interpret dreams and the root cause of what you dreamed. Maybe you will not want to seek them out though. They might want to start a dream interpretation ministry at church, but get paid fot it.

Anonymous said...

That's funny. Sometimes people say silly things to be silly. Maybe that's what the dream meant. If she really wanted her son to get paid to wash laundry for the elderly, she would have taken her son to bingo night and handed out flyers. Or maybe she was serious and could be related to the person that came up with the idea to start a daycare in the church and pay a staff to run, organize and care/love the children.