Saturday, October 26, 2013

on attending church

Being a pastor, I think attending church is a pretty good thing.  Does that surprise you?  I think that we find comraderie, learning and joy by attending church that we would likely miss without it.  There is always the move of the Holy Spirit that just sneaks in some times at church that we might otherwise miss.  Are regarding missions, we can accomplish so much more together!

Recently some friends from church visit

ed Ireland and made the decision to attend worship on Sunday morning even though it was their vacation.  Here is the account of that experience:


We were fortunate enough to win a trip to Ireland.  While the whole idea was golf, some sights were taken in as well.  One Sunday morning, two weeks ago, I dropped the guys off at the golf course.  My lady friend had a relative to visit, so I went to church!  I am sending some pictures of the place.  I thoroughly enjoyed myself!  The service had a total of 30 people, (infant included) and I can tell you it was wonderful!  The organist couldn’t make it that day so we all sang the Hymns the best we could.  The hymns were different than here, ones I’d never heard of, but that’s ok, it’s all in the message.

  The place I visited was    Ardara Methodist Church, officiated by Rev. John Purdy ( the one service at noon)  Rev. Purdy also has earlier church service in another small town called Dunkineely. At high noon the Reverend and the members all arrived.  Not early to make coffee…  just in time to hear the Good Word.  J  They do have a lot going on with the church re: events, youth, etc.  I picked up some pamphlets re: their missions/ministry work. 

   The Reverend wore a collar. Now I’m not that schooled in Methodist history, but being in Ireland he did refer to Wesley some, and it was interesting as the message he spoke that day was one you had spoken of just a couple weeks earlier.  Same idea, just his twist.  It was an enjoyable 1 hr.  So refreshing to sit in a small church, so humble,  I’m planning on sending him a note thanking him for his time.  We visited after church for awhile about the local youth/ missions.  He’s even heard of CRU!  A couple members stayed and visited with me, even offered to have coffee in town but I wasn’t able to. 

    If you’d like to take a peek at some of the pamphlets I picked up let me know. ( I even purchased the Women’s Cook book they were selling.)

I can’t say enough how much that morning was so wonderful.  The sun was shining, the grass was green and I truly felt touched that day by the Lord.


What a great joy she experienced and it all began with a decision to get up and go to God's house.
It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Been thinking about sharing with you an experience I had while visiting Grace Ave. UMC in Frisco Texas on August 14, 2011. Had a conversation with someone about riding bikes sometime and prayed about that alot. I was in Dallas as my granddaughter, was born on Friday evening and I had a tremendous desire to go to church and get on my hands and knees at communion and thank God for this tiny baby...and in came the pastor that Sunday...riding in on his mountain bike with a VERY powerful message. I was right where God wanted me to be that morning! And, October 2010 I felt led to go to Maine and visit churches there. On the way...there were rainbows up in the White Mountains...I have pictures of cars driving under one of them. I attended church just where I happened to be on Sunday morning; Belfast UMC and I will never forget being handed a welcome Folder that contained a picture of the church with a rainbow over it that said: Welcome, we have been waiting for you! It is true, because we believe that every person who comes into the circle of this special fellowship was sent by God Himself. It is not by accident that we have the joy of meeting you. The pipe organ was the largest I think I have ever seen and the sound amazing, and they played one of my favorites...Pass it On! For some reason...God is so good to me!