Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Ash Wednesday

Today is Ash Wednesday.  It is the first day of Lent.  Lent is 40 days before Easter, set aside to consider the sufferings of Jesus Christ.  I guess the early church felt that Good Friday alone was not enough time to think of Jesus' suffering, so we have the season of Lent.

Lent begins on Ash Wednesday.  The palms from last year's Palm Sunday are burned.  The ashes are placed on the foreheads of the faithful in the shape of a cross.  Palms to ashes.  Joy to mourning.  Lent is here.

Today is a most significant day to me.  I think it all centers around the question that is asked when the ashes are put on my forehead:
      Are you willing to repent of your sin and follow the way of the cross?
     [yes]
      Then the sign of the cross upon your forehead marks you as a disciple of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

The significance of this question to me is not based so much on the fact that I will ask it of many worshippers tonight, but that someone will ask it of me.

If you are not doing anything tonight, drop by the church between 6 and 730 for the soup supper and a time of prayer, ashes and Holy Communion.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: