Thursday, February 26, 2015

to agree or not

I have an opinion.  You have an opinion.  If we only talk to people that agree with us, then we never grow, we never learn and we never change.  If I only surround myself with those who agree with me, then I am shaping a cocoon of comfort for my opinion.

The problem with that, is that sometimes I am wrong.  Sometimes I am wrong and I don't know that I am wrong. 

The most valuable people to have in our lives sometimes are those who do not agree with us.  Those who see the world differently than we do can play a very important role in helping us to live a healthy life.

When I listen to those who don't agree with me, even if they are shouting at me, when I really listen to them, I can find out why they hold the position that they do.  I can begin to understand the other side.  Usually when we understand both sides of a situation, we make better decisions.  And we understand people as people instead of measuring them as for or against me.

Don't worry that someone disagrees with you.  Different religion?  Different politics?  No problem.  They are still people.  Don't take it personally that they disagree with you.  Don't lean away from what they say, lean in to what they say.  We learn so much more from those who see the world differently than we do.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good. 

No comments: