Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Holy, Holy, Holy

Holiness

The other day I used the word “sanctification.”  I don’t care for the word.  The literal meaning is “to be made holy.”  I don’t like the word because of well meaning Christians that have beat me over the head with it in the past.  By the way, my friend Terry reminds me that the Bible is not a hammer.

But the topic of holiness is a good one.  What is holiness?  Some would say that it is wearing a Christian t-shirt, being well groomed, never missing church, having a bumper sticker on your car, never saying a bad word and such.

Sometimes Christians become so “saintly” that normal people cannot relate to them.  I do not find this to be holy. 

Holy to me is to be honest, real, and authentic.  Normal people flocked to Jesus, not because he was saintly, but because he was approachable.  This is a holy thing.  To be the kind of person that others can relate to.  To be a person that can reach others with God’s love.  A life like that feels good, it feels right, it feels intrinsically complete.  That is holiness.


It’s a beautiful day in God’s world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: