Monday, November 2, 2015

Interpretation

Today I am thankful for who ever it was that taught me that I am not always right.  [It was not an easy job.]  When we think about Biblical interpretation, it is really important for us to remember that we are not as smart as we think we are.  We are not right and everyone else wrong.  That is not spirituality, but arrogance.

So many people toss around words like literal and inerrant, as if the Bible itself was to be worshipped.  The real problem with interpretation is that we interpret the Bible to our comfort.  Our brains naturally look for the understanding of scripture that justifies my life, my habits, my standard of living and my prejudices.

Jen Hatmaker in her book Interrupted describes the day when she awoke to see that she had been looking at the Bible all wrong........

     " I still can’t believe it, but I managed to attend church three times a week as a fetus, fulfill the pastor’s kid role, observe every form and function of church, get swallowed whole by Christian subculture, graduate from a Baptist college, wed a pastor, serve in full-time ministry for twelve years, become a Christian author and speaker – and misunderstand the main point. I am still stunned by my capacity to spin Scripture, see what I wanted, ignore what I didn’t, and use the Word to defend my life rather than define it. I now reread treasured, even memorized Scriptures and realize I never understood what they really meant. " Pg 5

     "I developed a spiritual form of [bulimia] where I did my devotions, read all the new Christian books and saw the Christian movies, and then vomited information up to friends, small groups, and pastors. But it never had the chance to digest. I had gorged myself on all the products of the Christian industrial complex but was spiritually starving to death. I was marked by an over consumption but malnourished spiritually, suffocated by Christianity but thirsty for God." Pg 10

If your Christianity isn't talking you out of your comfort zone, if you are a Bible expert instead of being humbled by scripture, then it may be time to put on a new set of reading glasses.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Glenda A said...

Excellent message!

Anonymous said...

I hope everyone reads your blog! Amen and Amen!