Monday, November 30, 2015

Reflections on Thanksgiving

Last week I was able to spend a few days with my wife, all of my children, my daughter's boyfriend, and my mother in law.  We had a delightful time.  [and you were expecting a mother in law joke]

Yes there were games, and laughter, there were jokes and discussions.  There was turkey, dressing, potatoes and the like.  There was the annual apology for some part of the dinner that did not meet the cook's expectations.

Looking back on the 2015 Thanksgiving, I am reminded of an old saying, "people are more important than ideas."  Sometimes in a moment, we argue about spending money, shopping, saving money, politics and such.  But if the people in our lives were gone, who would we talk to?  Who would we spend time with?  Isn't it silly to argue in the first place?  If I don't agree with something that a loved one thinks, why is that my concern anyway?  Do I want to drive them away?

People are more important than ideas.  The opportunity to sit at a table with loved ones, share old memories, and make new ones is indeed a great privilege.  I am thankful for my family.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: