Wednesday, November 4, 2015

memory

Today I am thankful for memory and memories.  I find myself forgetting more and more lately, and so memory is quite a gift. 

Memory makes us smile and time seems to wash the pain away from our worst memories.  Lessons from the past are codified by our memories of them.

When I was 14 I entered a chess contest at the local library.  There were kids ranging in age from 8-16.  I was one of the oldest ones there.  They paired us randomly for our first match.  I was assigned a 10 year old.  A little tiny guy who looked a bit like Harry Potter.  That may explain what happened next.  Although I was sure that I was going to beat the child in this game of wits and strategy, he ended my day in 5 moves.

I was surprised!  Checkmate!  Oh my, and by such a child.  My mother had barely left the parking lot when I was calling her to return to pick me up.

Ahh the memories of life.  The ones that humble us will teach us if we will listen to them.  Jeff, you aren't as smart as you think, and Harry Potter is good at chess.

Today I am thankful for memories.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: