Sunday, June 19, 2016

A great man

I decided that I wanted to honor a great Father and a great man on Father's Day.  I have come to believe that we are not very good at telling people that we like them when we like them.  So here is a story about someone that I feel is a very special person- a stellar human being.

I lived next door to this man for 11 years.  We didn't hang around very much because we were busy raising kids, but this is a special man.  He played minor league professional hockey, but you would never know it because he is humble.  He loves kids- his own children, and the children in our community.  He and his wife have dedicated their lives as teachers in the public school system.  As the principal of Delta Woods Middle school, he worked closely with that neighboring church- Woods Chapel.  And so I knew him both as a neighbor and as a partner in the greater community good.

Steve, I will miss working on trees with you.  I will miss watching fireworks.  I will miss your kindness and determined dedication to the good.  You are a great man Steve Cook, and I am going to miss you.

Thank you for being my friend.  Thank you for being a great neighbor.  Thanks for helping to raise my kids.  I pause this day to honor you, and to give thanks for you.  I am happy that in this life our paths have crossed.  May we meet again.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.


1 comment:

Rob Barker said...

Jeff you are correct Steve deserves to be recognized. He is a great principal. Happy Father's Day too you both!