Thursday, June 23, 2016

quiet desperation

Henry David Thoreau is quoted as saying, "most men live lives of quiet desperation."  In the modern world it is fair to say that most men and women live lives of quiet desperation.

They yearn for what cannot be.  They hope for what is just beyond their reach.  Their desires are never quite met.  They chase meaning and sometimes find shallowness instead.  They long to be treated with respect.  They long to be spoken to with kindness.  They hope for the day that they are wanted, that they are loved without reservation, and yet they, at least most of them, continue to come up wanting.

I remember a couple that I knew when I was in my early 20's.  David and somebody, I don't remember the wife's  name.   They were young and happy and in amazing Christian love.  "This is what life should be like" I said to myself.  Then one time I went over to their home.  Wow did they have problems.  They were mad at each other and in a terrible fight.  It was so much less than perfect.  What an eye opener.

How do we help those who live in desperation?  How do we fight our own desperation?  Love everyone that you can.  Reach out to everyone that you can.  Offer grace.  Offer hope.  Offer free hugs.  Life is beautiful and life is short.  Help everyone that you can, see that there is good in this world.  Together we can make every day a little better.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: