Tuesday, August 16, 2016

The other side of a thing

Last week I posted about setting a precedent. How our behavior can create problems if everyone does it. I take a stapler from work- what if everyone did that. I cheat on my taxes- what if everyone did that?

My friend Tracy is a genius. She and her husband Tony were in church a few weeks ago. It was great to see them. She sent me a note about precedent that was spot on. Here it is:

I love the other side of precedent. If I smile at the sullen-faced clerk, what might that do for the rest of her day? If I make a point of pointing out to the cashier that he gave me too much change, what example does that set for my kids? If I take a deep breath when someone cuts me off and pray that whatever is causing them such aggression is resolved, what does that show my kids? We have so many opportunities to set precedent in a positive way. If we be sure to see the good. :-)

I was focusing on the negative side of precedent.  Tracy focused on the positive side.  So here again is another example of how what I think is usually only partly right. There is another side to just about everything. Always look at both sides of a thing.

And set a positive precedent today. Teach others how to live a life of love. It will spread. That is the whole nature of the kingdom. 
  • You love someone, 
  • I notice. 
  • I like it.
  • I emulate that behavior
  • the kingdom comes. 
  • One person at a time.
Go set a positive precedent.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: