Friday, December 2, 2016

another story from my life

It is a Wednesday night in 1974.

          After work one day at the bicycle shop, I drove my blue 63 Ford Galaxie to church for an evening Bible Study.  I sat in the back - on the very back row.  I listened to Pastor Gerald Fry talk about the way that God can touch your heart by the Holy Spirit.  As he spoke, I felt a tingling all over me, as if God had come down and flooded the inside of my body.  With each word that the Pastor spoke, I was struck with a deeper desire to have this God.


            After the study was over and the crowd had disbursed, I went up to the front and asked the pastor to pray for me.  He did.  He prayed for me to have the Holy Spirit.  When I left there, I felt that I did indeed have the Holy Spirit.

Looking back on this story years later, I would not describe this as a conversion, because I was already a Christian.  And I believe that when you become a Christian, the Holy Spirit dwells in you.  So I did not receive the Holy Spirit that night, He was already with me.  But it did seem to be some kind of a quickening or awakening.  All these years later it is still a very good memory that makes me smile.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not sure if I ever experienced what u did but Did find a renewed something from me Emaus walk that left me joyful Hope it never ends