Sunday, June 26, 2022

contentment

Godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. 8 But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. 9 Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.  1 Tim 6:6-10

I recently had lunch with my old friend Bob Fillmore.  It was awesome!!!  He told me a story about a man who left a high powered job and found meaning and contentment in a job putting felt on pool tables.

Sit under that for a few minutes.  Think about that.  From a high profile, high paying job, to installing felt on pool tables.

And he was happy.


That reminds me of this story...

The industrialist watched as the fisherman's boat pulled in at 11:45am.

“Why are you quitting so early? ” asked the industrialist.
“Because I have caught enough fish for the day.   I am going to go home and sit with the Mrs. take a siesta and drink a beer.”
“Why don ’t you catch some more fish? ”
“What would I do with it? ”

“Earn more money. Then you could have a motor fixed to your boat and go into
deeper waters and catch more fish. Then you could buy nylon nets, so
more fish, more money. Soon you would have enough to buy two boats... even a fleet of
boats. Then you could be rich like me.”

“What would I do then? ”
“Then you could work half a day, spend the afternoon in siesta with the Mrs and drink a beer. ”
“What do you think I am doing now? ” asked the fisherman.


Which would you rather have: a fortune or the ability to enjoy what you have?

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: