Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Transactional or relational

I posted about this a few years ago, but I keep hearing this theology over and over.  Friends, transactional theology is not good theology.

In transactional theology, You believe in Jesus, you accept him and you are in.  In for heaven.  Punch your ticket.

Keep in mind, there is nothing in the Bible about asking Jesus into your heart.  Yet we hear this theology over and over.  My biggest problem with it is that it lets us off the hook in terms of how we treat others.

This thinking leads to some tragic behavior where well meaning Christians tend to think in terms of trying to get others to make the same transaction. Believe like I do, they say, and you are in too. Forcing others to believe like me instead of loving them.

Worst of all, there is no practical application required. The rest of life does not matter in the big picture. Just believe the right things and you are in.

Whoa! Wait a minute!
What about how we live? What about how we treat each other?

There is another way to look at faith, not as a transaction, but as a relationship.

I see the love on the cross. I am filled with the love from the cross. And therefore, I want to, I must share it.

Those who see the love on the cross, want to spend their lives sharing it.

What do you think is more God like? Getting people to believe and say something about God killing Jesus instead of you? Or is it more God like to see the love on the cross and want to spend your life following this God of love and living a life of love.

Whatever we did to the least of these we did it unto him.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

- - - - - - - - - - -

I am, along with Sherri Swanson and Aaron Brown, leading a trip to the Holy Land January 23-February 2, 2023.

For more information, click the link below.  And if you have any questions, please feel free to email me at jsbrink57@gmail.com

Click here for the brochure  

No comments: