Thursday, July 7, 2022

A letter to a friend

I share this with you because it took me 18 years to send it.

Roger was my best friend when we lived in Princeton, in north Missouri.  When we took the appointment at Woods Chapel in Lees Summit it dramatically changed our relationship because we went from seeing each other 4x per week to 4x over the next 15 years.

Here is the letter than I penned to him in 2004 and finally delivered in 2022.

January 5, 2004

Dear Roger,

I am not sure where to begin, but I have felt compelled write to you for some time.

I have felt terrible for years about the fact that we moved away from Princeton and that our move helped spell the end of-change in our friendship.

Roger, I want to take a moment to honor a friendship that was remarkable. Up until that point in my life, I had never had a friend that even began to tough what I had with you. I want you to know that. To that point in my life, I had never had a friend like you were to me.

I don’t know that I would say that we are no longer friends, but we just don’t stay in touch and I feel badly about that.

I am hopeful that God is blessing your life. I know that your family has grown. Mine has too. “Yeah Roger” Scott will be 13 next month. Jenny is 15 next month and Alli has a job and is driving.

Cathy works for a company that audits medical records. I assume that she is still a lousy bridge player, but since we never play anymore, no one really knows.

I finally quit smoking.

Peggy Roberts got cancer a few years ago and died. John remarried.

Our church has grown a ton in the last 10 years. 750 on Sunday morning. We have 8 men’s softball teams. I have many friends, some of which are very dear. God has blessed us.

But. Every time I think about Princeton, I think about you. And I remember how I feel responsible for the changes that took place. I am sincerely sorry for that.

Roger, what we had was special, and you are a great guy. I honor you, and thank you for your friendship.

Happy New Year

Jeff Brinkman


On the positive side, Roger and Jeff have reconnected.  I have seen him 8 times in the past year.  That has been great.  It has been fantastic to have him back in my life.
If you need to send a letter to a friend, don't wait 22 years to do it.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: