Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Excuses

After the posts on the Good Samaritan, a friend asked me for a list of excuses that religious people use to avoid helping people.

Here are some that come to my mind... what comes to your mind?  I would love to hear what you come up with...

Here is what pops into my brain...

Religious people don't help other people because...

  • I am too busy
  • They don't deserve to be helped.
  • They should get a job.
  • They are dirty.
  • I am afraid of them.
  • They are not like me.
  • They make me uncomfortable.
  • It is my money, I worked hard for it.
  • My life is about me, not them.
  • Christianity is not about giving things away.

My friend added...

  • I am already helping [enough]
  • I worry that I am enabling and not helping.
  • I'll do it next time.

On and on the excuses can go.  May we get over ourselves and work to become more generous people.  Please remember, it is much better to give one time too many and be taken advantage of, then to give one time too few and leave a human brother or sister in need.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: