Monday, July 25, 2022

A Teachable Moment

The next time you are offended, consider it a “teachable moment.” Ask yourself what part of you is actually upset. It’s normally the false or smaller self. If we can move back to the big picture of who we are in God, our True Self, we’ll find that what upset us usually doesn’t amount to a hill of beans in objective reality! But we can waste a whole day (or longer) feeding that hurt until it seems to have a life of its own and, in fact, “possesses” us.            Richard Rohr

To me, part of the trick is to stop myself when I am feeling something.  It may be disappointment, it may be anger, it may be a number of things.  I feel it.  I FEEL IT.  It seems so big... then a day later, I don't even remember what I was upset about.  I had allowed my small self to take over, possess, and overwhelm, my life.

Being aware of the problem is the first step.  Being able to recognize, in the middle of the feelings, that the feelings are not to be allowed to dominate is a first step.

The next step is to take a deep breath and refocus.  Put on your favorite music.  Go for a walk.  Distract yourself from the feelings.  They will change, they always do.

Somewhere along the line we can find a teachable moment.  We can look at what is bothering us and begin to realize that we are not in charge of that thing.  We don't get a vote.  The world is not going to align itself to make me happy.  We can learn to partner with the world instead of fighting it.

And when I realize that the world is not here for my pleasure, I smile, I release the offense, and I move on to the day, a healthy, beautiful day.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: