Saturday, July 23, 2022

a shorter list

I mentioned in my post on my birthday, July 5th, that my list of beliefs has gotten shorter over the years.

A couple of people wrote in and asked me to elaborate.

Ok, so here goes:

I don't think God cares what we believe about:
  • the trinity
  • the end of time
  • the gifts of the Holy Spirit
  • who is in and who is out
  • tattoos and piercings
  • loud music
  • sin
  • how the death of Jesus specifically covers sin
  • other religions

on and on it goes.  I just don't think that God cares.  So much of what we have spent our lives fighting about, and trying to be right about, I just don't think that those ideas matter.

What does matter is love.

You can say you are a Christian, but if you don't love, what are you?

You can say that you believe in Jesus just right, but if you don't love, what are you?

You can say that you are saved, but if you don't have compassion for the broken, isn't it time for a conversion?

If I speak in the tongues of men and angels but have not love, I am nothing.  God is love.  Christianity in it's simplest form boils down to that.  Do I love.  Am I seeking to grow in love.  Am I leaving a legacy of love.

My list of beliefs has gotten shorter.

Love is all there is.  In the end, love is all that matters.  Oh, wait... in the beginning, love was all that mattered.  Sad it takes us a lifetime to figure that out.

Love, just love.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: