Monday, January 21, 2008

Airport

Several asked for a recap of yesterday's sermon, so here it is:

Methodist distinctives/emphasis
1. Wesley was a practical theologian. He only wanted you to learn what would help you in your daily living.
2. Methodists stick to the simple truth of the gospel message. Nothing is added. The story of the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross is enough.
3. Methodists honor and respect the Bible as the word of God. Take it up and read it, you will be blessed.
4. Methodists strive to be grace based. We want to focus, not on the sin of the person, but on the power of God to help the person.
5. The mark of a Methodist is love. If we don't have love, well, we are just pretending.

Airport.
Today I am flying to Orlando for a training seminar. I am signed up to attend several classes on topics that I hope will help me be a better pastor. I am also scheduled to lead a workshop with Bill Cook on the Matthew 28 project. We hope that other churches can get interested in sending their members on 30 day mission trips.

I will be home on Thursday, and will be back in church on Sunday. Keep me in your prayers, and I will pray for you.

On a side note, yesterday I attended a gathering of about 40 church folks. I looked around the room, and I was struck by how awesome this group of people are. All of you. My Woods Chapel friends and members, you are awesome. Thanks for being people with great hearts.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Dave Templeman said...

Last week I joked to you after service that I'm a Methodist because my mom made me. While my mom did bring me to Methodism, I have stayed a Methodist for other reasons. Wesley's practical approach to theology scratches me where I itch - making God's Word relevent to us, right now. God's message to us through His Word is grace and love and that's what I want to see, it's what I want to practice and it's the best way I know to bring others to Christ.

You help make Woods Chapel a very special place for us to be Methodists and I pray that I will be able to grow in Christ and be the "dispenser of grace" He calls us to be.

Safe travels my friend.

Dave