Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Lost at sea

Help! I am lost at sea. I am awash in a sea of preachers.

Yes, Bill and Ann Cook are here with me, but they are not here right now. There are 1,000 preachers here and I don't know a one. It's a funny feeling to be alone in a crowd, to feel like you don't belong. Almost everyone here is with a group. Several came from their church. They are laughing, having fun, telling stories. I, I, I am standing against the wall, watching it all.

Hello Mudda, Hello Fadda, here I am at..........

I just paid $2.29 for a cup of coffee. The same coffee we drink in our new foyer. Same cup, same sleeve. $2.29! Makes you miss home.

Home. Home is that place that we take for granted. That place where we feel safe. That place where dogs and cats seek you out to sit on your lap. That place where you are welcomed and accepted. When we are away from home we miss it.

I have a house home, and I have a church home. Woods Chapel. I am always so glad to see all of you on Sunday morning. It is so encouraging to me to spend time with you. Thank you for being my family.

Wait a minute, it's stopped raining, guys are swimming, guys are sailing...........
The breakfast line just opened, I better go. Maybe I will make a new friend today.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't felt like this since...well, since my first couple of weeks at WCC. It was apparent to me that people were happy there, but it wasn't apparent how I was going to get happy there. Then...I went and sat in a group time after worship one Sunday. I met Roger and Don. I liked them...and they seemed to like me.

I love what happens in the worship center, but I joined the fellowship in a small room.

Your commentary as you stood against the wall reminds of my first couple of Sundays in WCC. I'll look for someone standing up against the wall this Sunday and invite them into a room where everyone will know their name. Cheers!