Friday, January 4, 2008

Who are you?

I visited with a friend yesterday for a while about the question: "Who are you?" How do you know who you are? Where do you begin?

Well, let's begin with this: you are not the collection of negative ideas that roll around in the back of your head. The negative, painful tapes that play in your brain, they are not you. Let's get rid of them. How?

Well, lets see the good. We talk about it all the time. What is the good. Who are you? Ask yourself the question. You are not the collection of negative thoughts. The imaginary picture of guilt that we often live with.

Who are you? Ask God. Ask him what is the truth about you? What will you hear?

I love you. You are my child. You matter. You are valuable. You are filled with my love. You are filled with potential. This is who you are, daughter, son.

You are not your job, you are not your car, you are not your children. You are a child of God, a dearly loved creation, an eternal soul, a dispenser of grace.

Remember who you are.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.....even in yourself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the words you used, "an eternal soul, a dispenser of grace." These are terrific phrases to help direct my efforts in the new year. Powerful positive reminders you've given to help combat all the negatives we seem to save...thanks.

terry said...

.. Because the Bible tells us so... just like the children's song. God's word is the truth.. the tape player in our head is not. Thank you for reminding me of my inheritance in Jesus Christ.