Monday, January 14, 2008

our best days

Yesterday I had a thought that I have never had before.

As I have watched our church grow and change over the years, I have been thankful. I have offered praise to God for what we have seen. I am not really sure how all of this happened, except to say that we have a lot to be thankful for.

I have wondered about our future. I have been concerned that I don't always know how to steer a boat this big. It makes me very nervous to be at the helm sometimes. I don't want to goof up something that has gone so well over the years.

Yesterday, I had a thought that I have never had before.

Churches will have a good run, and then level off. Members often look back and remember the glory days.

Yesterday, I had a thought that I have never had before. Here it is, finally.

What if our best days as a church are not the last ten? What if our best days lie just around the corner? What if what God has done in our congregation is only the preview of his future for us?

That is a scary thought, but I like it. It makes me want to trust God, because there is no way I could figure any of it out. Trusting God is a good thing. Pray with me that God would do his work at Woods Chapel. Pray with me that our human fears will not get in the way of his work. Pray that we will never become satisfied or proud.

O Lord, what is your future for Woods Chapel? What will we become? How do we get there? Lord, we trust you. We put ourselves fully at your disposal. We want nothing more than to be in your service. We love you and thank you for all that you have done in the past and we praise you for all the good that you are. Please lead us. Speak Lord, we are listening. Amen

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It has been said, "If you keep doing the same things you are doing now, you will keep getting the same results". It appears we have obtained phenomenal results. Just sit back and let God work His miracles with no fear. He is the Master; embrace His Will.

terry said...

Anything living is bound to change and grow. Thank the Lord our church is living.Thank God the leaders in our church are not legalistic or stagnant. Thank God that we do not ignore what is going on in our community, our city, our country and our world. Our eyes are open, we embrace the challenge. Thank God there is a ministry for everyone, and everyone feels connected, should they want to be. I am not sure you realize how many lives this church touches... I am not sure you realize how many lives you have touched. God has used you as his vessel to do incredible things. He's steering, but you and your wonderful church are the vessel. Thank you Jeff.