Friday, September 10, 2010

close call

Last night I took my daughter to Paddys for dinner. Sorry, I know they have a new name, but it will always be Paddys in my brain. She had a salad, I had the ribs and a great talk with my daughter.

We are driving home. Woods Chapel Road to 291 north. Lakewood Blvd exit. I exit off 291 and cruise up to the light which is green and has been green for a bit. I start to slow down to make the turn. Out of the corner of my eye I see a red truck flying towards us. I hit the brakes. That little Honda has pretty good brakes. The Honda stops halfway into the oncoming lane, the truck swerves a bit. It is hard to swerve when you are going 50 miles an hour.

A couple of kids in a big red pick up truck not paying attention. A chance almost encounter. I have been in enough wrecks to know what happens when trucks broadside little cars. They missed us by less than a foot. It was one of those moments that take your breath away.

And then you are thankful. Thank you God. We are all so fragile. Life is so precious. We take so much for granted and you just never know when it will all be over. Thank you God.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are all so grateful that God spared you a real tradgedy.

chigger farmer said...

Just reading that I felt that panicky sensation in the pit of my stomach. I'm so thankful for little Hondas with good brakes and attentive Dad drivers! Phew!