Wednesday, April 4, 2012

crossing the street

Crossing the street.  We all do it.  If you think about it, crossing the street implies that we walk across, not diagonally, but across.  Bisecting the street with our foot traffic.  Cross the street.

Well I have noticed, particularly at the grocery store, Lowes and places like that, that sometimes people don't cross the street, they walk diagonally toward their car.  Since they are three parking bays over, they are going to take the direct route and walk diagonally while you wait for them to clear the drive lane. 

When I am driving, I find this to be very annoying, waiting for someone to make their long, slow diagonal walk, when they could have just crossed the driveway and then turned off to their car.  I find the practice to be really annoying.

Then the other day, I caught myself doing it.  Taking the line of least resistance.  Making the moment about my comfort.  I immediately turned and made a straight walk the rest of the way across the driveway.  Now it is becoming a habit.  I am not just taking the direct route to my car, I am crossing the driveway directly so that the drivers that are waiting for me can be on their way.

It's a small thing, but I am working on life being about something more than me.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You, as a driver, would probably appreciate someone like me. When I am crossing, as a pedestrian, in front of a store, I first wait to see if the cars passing are in the mood to stop for me (some are not!). Then if they slow and stop for me, I hurry across the drive to allow them to go on their way as quickly as possible. It just seems like common courtesy to me...and it helps my waistline?!(Not sure about that! Ha!)

Also, it amazes me how people just occupy the grocery aisles clueless that there are other shoppers trying to maneuver around them or even pass at all. So, I try to always be aware of other shoppers when I stop in the aisles to allow them by. I think when you are one of those people who notices those things and are annoyed by them, you just want to avoid being one of those "objects" in the road that are oblivious to others that may be in a hurry.