Wednesday, April 25, 2012

solitude

I ran across this poem:

I can tell you that solitude
Is not all exaltation, inner space
Where the soul breathes and work can be done.
Solitude exposes the nerve,
Raises up ghosts.
The past, never at rest, flows through it.
                      
                           May Sarton

These words spoke to me because I love solitude, but it is also sometimes painful.  It is a place to retreat from the pressure and business of life, but it is also a place where I wade through my deepest thoughts.  Solitude is an interesting mix of joy and pain, hurt and hope.

I will say this though- quiet introspection is of great value to this human journey.  Whether it brings pain or not, sometimes, we need to sort through life, consider who we are, and let our Father point us in the right direction.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: