Thursday, February 6, 2014

anger

I was talking to someone who was angry the other day.  We realized something:  they thought that they were angry about some thing, but they were really angry or should have been angry at them selves.

I got a flat tire and I am angry.  I have not taken care of my car so I got a flat tire.  Who am I angry at?  I did not get the promotion and I am angry.  I am routinely late for work.  Who should I be angry at? 

This story has many chapters in it.  Things that we are angry about that we have also played a part in the creation of the anger story.

What I have found is that when I look and see my responsibility for the difficulty in a situation, I tend to be less mad.  When I take responsibility for what I have done, then I see that it is silly for me to be mad because I played a role in making it happen.

I was late for work not because of traffic but because I did not leave early enough.

I don't now if that helps anyone, but every time I take responsibility for my choices, I feel better about life.  And less anger is always a good thing.  You can even laugh at your own silly choices when you are brave enough to see them for what they are.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: