Monday, February 24, 2014

happy birthday

I was invited to a birthday party for a person.  I have known this person for many years.  We have been friends - what I like to call "low maintenance friends."  We have lunch a couple times a year.  We have never gone on vacations together, but I am always glad to see him and there is a kindred spirit between us.


I was sitting down to write on his birthday card and it occurred to me that he probably has no idea how much I really value him.  So instead of the customary "happy birthday from me," I wrote him a pretty long note.


I told him that I remembered the first time that we met.  I remember thinking, "what a cool guy."  I told him how much I valued him.  I told him that I wanted to take a moment to honor the kind of person that he is.


I think he will like the card.  I hope so.  But I got to thinking about how many other people there are in the world or in the church or in my family that don't know how I feel about them.  I am going to go on a campaign I think to start telling people how I feel about them.


I think you can bring a lot of joy to people when they find out how much you value them.


It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh you are already so good at this Jeff, because what's inside you just naturally comes out. I hear more compliments about your ability to show appreciation, than you realize.

And for that matter, what is inside of all of use, just comes out naturally, be it good or be it bad.