Tuesday, May 20, 2014

self disclosure

So I am going to tell you something that no one knows.  I don't think my kids know this.

When I was a kid I had a baby doll.  Her name was Ethyl.  I carried her around all the time.  I played baseball and did boy things too, but I had a baby doll.  My Dad used to give me grief about Ethyl.  He wanted me to get rid of her.  I wouldn't do it.  Then one day he took her away and pitched her.  I was sad.  For about ten minutes.  Then my life went on with out Ethyl. 

Occasionally I think of Ethyl and smile.  It was a long time ago.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And even as an "old guy" you have a baby doll. Her name is Cathyl, I mean Cathy. She is so pretty. You did a good job when you picked her, and she won't be going away.

Love your blogs. Your transparency and honesty is so refreshing.

Unknown said...

One of my favorite childrens' books is William's Doll by Charlotte Zolotow. "... his grandmother comes to visit --- and at last William is understood. She gets William the doll (he "loved it right away"). And she explains to William's father (who "was upset. 'He's a boy!' he said / 'Why does he need a doll?'") why William needs it:
"so that
when he's a father
like you,
he'll know how to
take care of his baby
and feed him
and love him
and bring him
the things he wants,
like a doll
so that he can
practice being
a father. "
http://www.charlottezolotow.com/willilams_doll.htm