Thursday, May 22, 2014

woe to those

[I will begin by saying that I am writing this part tongue in cheek.]

Woe to those.
Woe to those who read unacceptable authors for you may be indoctrinated with heresy.  Woe to you who read history for you may learn things that will confuse the present.  Woe to you who question the status quo for questions debilitate everything.  Woe to those who do or think anything outside of what I think is acceptable.

[That is the end of the tongue in cheek.]

I used to think the way I described above.  When I was in my 20's I knew it all.  Today I still run into people who think that they know it all.  They think that they know what is right and what is wrong without a shadow of a doubt - for everyone.  Life is black and white to them. 

Let me ask some questions.  Are questions allowed?  They better be or your life system is in great jeopardy.  Is it possible that in my 56 years I have missed a few things?  You bet it is possible.  It is not only possible, not only likely, but the fact is that none of us have it exactly right.  Some people find comfortable lives by putting hard borders on the God that lives in the box that they created for him.  I would tell you that great lives come into being by heartfelt consideration of all things.  The greatest believers have some doubts.  No author gets it right every time.  Just because someone wrote something that I don't agree with does not mean that we should never read their books or that they should be rejected by the latest inquisition.

Bases of power have a great history of telling us what they want us to know.  Great organizations and great people, not only allow, but encourage questions.  Never be afraid to take a new look at a thing.  God is bigger, much bigger than our ideas about him.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: