Tuesday, October 28, 2014

docta ignorantia


Ok I realized this is an easy out for me to copy and paste these posts but this is good stuff worth sharing.

“When you don’t balance knowing with not knowing, you get into the kind of religion and politics we have today which is very arrogant, falsely self-assured, can never admit when it’s wrong, and can never apologize because “I know!” According to the great spiritual teachers, ignorance does not result from what we don’t know; ignorance results from what we think we do know! Anybody who knows, knows that they don’t know, especially when they’re talking about God! Medieval Catholic theology called this docta ignorantia or learned ignorance.” - Richard Rohr
Personally, I struggle with people who know. I don’t want a confrontation and I believe some of this “knowing” will pass as they grow in their faith so I let it ride. Another problem I have is being open about what I struggle with or maybe don’t know when around this type of person. I find the situation suffocating at times. It’s tough. Love, I believe, is my best response.

Peace,
Lion’s Den Man

No comments: