Friday, March 11, 2016

selling Jesus

Christians sell Jesus.  Or to put it another way, we are all passing Jesus on, in one way or another.  If we aren't passing him along to others, then we are missing part of our job as Christ followers.

I was talking to a friend the other day and I realized that the way that he sells Jesus is a bit annoying to me.  I thought later, he isn't selling Jesus, he is selling his version of Jesus.  And then it occurred to me, that so am I and so are you.  We all take Jesus in, interpret him a little bit and then pass him on.  He is always a bit distorted by my thinking and my approach to life.

I guess that is ok.  It better be.  There is no other way to pass a thing on then through the lens of our understanding.  Even when we are quoting scripture, we are choosing which ones to quote, putting them randomly with others and placing our tone on them.

We all sell Jesus in our own way.

The moral of this story is that we all need to be a little bit more humble about how we go about selling Jesus.  It is after all, our way, and not the only way.  We need to think about how our method of conveying Jesus is falling upon the ears of others.  If I speak in the tongues of men and angels but have not love, I am nothing but a pain in the neck.

Personally I believe that one act of kindness goes much further than a bunch of words.  John Wesley is famous for saying,  "Preach the gospel. When necessary, use words."

How are you passing along Jesus to others?

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: