Saturday, March 5, 2016

vindictive

Never be vindictive.  Never hurt back.  You will feel slighted at times in this life, but it never pays to burn a bridge or hurt back.  When we hurt back, we only hurt ourselves.

Over the years we have had a number of people leave the church for many reasons.  Some go quietly, some disappear, others take their pound of flesh with them when they go.  It is very painful to realize that you have lost a family, even when they leave for reasons that have nothing to do with you.  It is just too easy to take it all personally.  I want so much for us to reach everyone, when we don't, it hurts.

But we never pile on.  We are never ugly and we never deliver guilt to those who leave the church.  We avoid this not simply because its wrong, we don't hurt back because we have learned that some day, they may want to return, and if we have wounded them, it makes it all the more difficult.

I am happy to say that over the years we have had a number of families that left for greener pastures come back home to Woods Chapel.  It always makes me happy to see them walk through the doors again.

Never be vindictive.  Always welcome home with open arms anyone that walks through the doors of your church.  And if you've been away for a while, come home.  There is no time like the present.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I never feel vindictive when this happens. I just feel sad and miss them. Sometimes when family (albeit church family) feels so good, we sometimes have a sense of euphoria and that it will all remain the same.

When I suddenly think of someone I haven't seen at church for quite awhile I feel sad when I learn that they've moved on. When this happens Jeff, my thoughts go to the fact that I know a limited number of people at WCC, but Jeff knows a lot of people. In those times I wonder how hard it must be on you to learn that people have left.

Always count my blessings. Thanking God that it isn't more people than do go that route.

Blessings.