Saturday, April 16, 2016

prayer requests

I am routinely asked for prayer requests.  Jeff what do you want us to pray for?  How can we pray for you?

I am going to harp on prayer for a moment.  I don't like what some American Christians do with prayer.
  • Prayer is not the magic by which we get what we want from God.
  • We do not cajole him to change his ways to our liking.
  • We do not harp on him until grandma gets well.


Do you want to pray for me?  Don't pray that my car will run or that I won't be lonely.  I have a lot of control over many such things myself.

Don't pray that I will live a long healthy life.  I hope to, but I find it presumptuous to pray in this manner.  "God, it may be ok for others to be sick, but not Jeff.  Amen."

Do you wish to pray for me?  Pray that I give myself more completely to him.  That is all.  May God make me more kind, more sweet, more thoughtful and more gracious.  May God help me to be patient in transition, accepting of change.

If I have that, everything else will be fine.

Now, What can I pray for, for you???

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.


No comments: