Friday, January 27, 2017

Otis

Otis was my first college roommate.  I loved that guy.  He was from Garden City, Kansas and his real name was Steve Davis but everyone called him Otis.  Why?  No one knows.  We lived in SC2N [Scott Hall, Second floor, north wing] at Evangel College in Springfield.  We didn't attend class that much, but we played every intramural sport together.  He was an athlete's athlete, a real thoroughbred.  He was ornery and funny.  Why do I love ornery funny people?

A few years ago I got to reconnect with another dear college friend, Pastor Roger Horne.  Roger was actually closer to Otis than I was, so when I got to wondering about Otis, I asked Roger if they had stayed in touch.  They had not.  But a few weeks later, Roger came across and sent me Otis' obituary.

I am sorry that I did not stay in touch with Otis.  I am sorry that I never got to meet his family.  He was a great man and a great friend, and I am left with great memories.  Sometimes in life, great memories have to be enough.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.




No comments: